Friday, March 21, 2008

"Difference" Model of Feminism

This is an interesting article discussing the findings of Susan Pinker concerning inherent differences in the female and male brains, and the types of goals these differences inspire in each gender. I appreciate this analysis, probably because I am one of those difference feminists- willing and eager to embrace the idea that women's brains are just different, biologically and chemically than men's brains...but this doesn't make them inferior. Just different. But, I feel like I'm met at every turn by feminists screaming at me to get with the picture and realize that we're all still being kept down by our patriarchal society.

Even though I'm a huge believer in the influence of culture on individual choices, goals, actions etc...I am not one of those cultural anthropologist opposed to socio-biological theories, so I appreciated that aspect as well. I'm not saying I don't want to break through the glass ceiling, or see it gone all together...I'm just saying I don't believe that the glass ceiling persists out of nothing more than a some patriarchal cultural overtones.

The article provides a well balanced analysis of Pinker's assertions... I especially liked this:

"We shouldn’t wish the role of sex differences away because they’re at odds with feminist dogma. But that doesn’t mean we should settle for the reductionist version of the relevant science, even if the complexity doesn’t make for as neat a package between hard covers."

Now...if only I could get more people to think that way...

No comments: